MeToo India: Sexual harassment allegations forces KWAN's founder to attempt suicide

KWAN's founder Anirban Das Blah attempts suicide after being accused of sexual harassment

Anirban Das Blah MeToo India: Sexual harassment allegations forces KWAN's founder to attempt suicide Source : Press

As India's MeToo movement is gaining momentum, many actors and filmmakers have come out in support to eradicate the illicit practice of sexual harassment in Bollywood. Among the list of the offenders, KWAN Entertainment founder Anirban Das Blah who is into celebrity management was also accused of sexual harassment by women.

In the wake of the movement, the company took a strict action against the offender by suspending him from his post. The celebrity management company had released a statement that reads, "We have asked Anirban Blah to forthwith step aside from his duties, activities and responsibilities at KWAN, its subsidiaries and affiliates with immediate effect."

As the repercussions of the movement didn't go down well with Anirban, he decided to commit suicide during the early hours on Friday at Vashi bridge. However, he failed in his suicide plans as police caught him in action and saved his life.

About the same, a senior police inspector said to a leading daily, "We had information about an individual coming towards Vashi bridge to commit suicide. We couldn't take chance and we laid a trap there in dark."

The police saved him from attempting suicide while he was climbing the fence of the bridge. Mr Gaikwad informed, "He was crying. He seemed very frustrated and depressed. We took him to the police station, offered him water and asked his problem to which he said that he was frustrated with the #MeToo allegations on him. He was depressed due to the defamation he and his family faced. He along with nine other partners had founded KWAN and after four girls alleged him of harassment in #MeToo campaign, he was asked to resign."

After the incident, Anirban's wife was informed about his act by the traffic police and later he was handed over to the Vashi police. Elaborating about the same, Vashi police station's senior police inspector Anil Deshmukh said, "The traffic police handed him to us but we haven't charged him as he has not done any (suicidal) act. He told us that he had come for a walk at the bridge. After his family reached, we handed him over to them."